The month ahead is a nationwide celebration promoting responsible pet ownership whilst helping people to raise much-needed funds for UK pet charities with loads of activities to get involved in.
Pets play a valuable role in our lives and National Pet Month’s main theme this year is ‘There’s a pet out there for you’, highlighting that there is a pet out there for everyone, whatever walk of life you’re from, but reminding people that it’s important to choose the best fit for your lifestyle.
Check out our five simple ways to get involved during National Pet Month, whether it’s to raise awareness or raise funds. NPM can promote what you do through their social media channels and the events map on their website.
1. Register as an NPM supporter on http://www.nationalpetmonth.org.uk/_members/ It’s free and only takes a minute.
2. Follow NPM on social media to talk pets www.fb.com/NationalPetMonth, www.fb.com/JoinScratchingPost (cat fans), www.fb.com/JoinParkBench (dog fans) and on Twitter @NatPetMonthUK Look out for regular blogs, competitions, fun facts, news from sponsor Tesco Pet Insurance and lots more! Use the hashtag #NationalPetMonth to tweet pics and updates
3. Tell your friends about NPM and get your local vet practices, pet shops, businesses and pet charities involved by staging a fundraising event for a favourite UK pet charity - sponsored dog walks, pet themed fairs and fetes, a take your dog to work day or a pet friendly church service are all great fundraisers. Check out the NPM website for ideas and tips on how to promote your event too.
4. Get your kids’ school involved. With valuable input from TV vet Marc Abraham, NPM has great pet themed lesson plans which can be downloaded from http://www.nationalpetmonth.org.uk/schools 5. Get sponsored for your favourite pet charity – have your head shaved or dye your hair a bright colour, wear your PJs to work, have a 24-hour pet themed movie marathon or come up with something else - the only limit is your imagination.
6. Check out our events map http://www.nationalpetmonth.org.uk/whats-on/ to see what’s happening in your area and register with us so that you can put your own event here to encourage lots of pet fans to join in the fun.
7. Have an inspiring rescue pet story to share? Tell NPM about it and you could feature on their blog. Email email@example.com
Over the coming months, sponsor Tesco will be helping customers take better care of their pets by hosting a number of Pet Roadshows at stores across the UK that customers can come along to – check out the National Pet Month website for more details. These will offer people the chance to see vet-led demos on topics such as brushing your pet’s teeth and grooming and to ask questions on all things pet related.
National Pet Month is both a celebration of the joy pets can bring, but also a great reminder of our responsibility to look after them. Read NPM’s Top 10 tipsfor responsible pet ownership:
1. Think carefully before getting a pet and learn about its special requirements.
2. Ensure your pet is sociable and well trained.
3. Provide a nutritious and well balanced diet.
4. Provide suitable housing and bedding.
5. Clean up after your pet and worm it regularly.
6. Protect against disease. Your vet can provide you with advice.
7. Prevent unwanted litters and neuter your pet when appropriate.
8. Groom your pet regularly.
9. Control your pet and ensure it is properly identified.
10. Take out pet insurance for dogs, cats, rabbits and horses to cover against unexpected veterinary fees and third party liability.
For more information on National Pet Month go to www.nationalpetmonth.org.uk