One of the most common call outs for vets over the holiday season is for pets with stomach upsets from eating rich Christmas trimmings or items that shouldn’t be eaten at all.
Dog owners need to put leftovers and decorations out of reach of inquisitive faces. Injuries to look out for at Christmas time include:
- Bones being swallowed and getting stuck in a dog’s throat, stomach or intestine
- this can require surgery
- Tree decorations being eaten
- Christmas tree needles getting into tender paws
Christmas is one of the busiest times for vets across the country. Dogs by their very nature are inquisitive animals and will often have a field day rummaging for tasty titbits in bin bags or on tables in unoccupied kitchens.
Even if you are able to resist your dog’s pleading eyes, pets love to steal food, and with so much rich food around the house at Christmas time, pets have a field day!
Vet Robin Hargreaves, President of the British Veterinary Association (BVA), said:
“Christmas is an exciting but frantic time for most of us. Our homes may be packed with new and tempting things, which are hard for curious pets to resist.
"There’s also a temptation to indulge you pet with richer food than usual but this isn’t good for their stomach or their waistline. Consider getting them a new toy or taking them for a long walk after dinner instead. These are healthy gifts they’ll really enjoy."
Some vets recommend to their clients to keep their pet out of the way of food that they are not used to by putting a baby gate across the kitchen door. This also gives the pet a calm base in another room, which is sensible if you have lots of visitors coming to the house.
If you do suspect that your dog has ingested chocolate and may be poisoned, the earlier you seek help, the more chance there is of your dog responding to treatment. Remember, cocoa is very toxic to dogs so darker, luxury brands can be even more dangerous than milk chocolate treats.